1. Do you notice any similarities in the way social class is discussed in readings 4.1 and 4.2? Do you notice any differences in the way these two readings DIFFERENTIATE between social classes?

Similarly, both readings discuss income, but 4.1 discusses the fact that social class is a subjective categorization, and that while how people identify correlates with their income, it also strongly correlates with their level of education. 4.1 also explains that even within the highest earning group, people still identify more closely with a upper- or middle class name rather than just upper class.

1. Pick the station closest to where you live. Using the concepts from Reading 4.1, what social class tends to live in your neighborhood? Are you surprised (or not) by the answer? Do you feel it is an accurate representation of the people living in your neighborhood?

I picked the 1, and at my stop the median household earning in 2011 was $43,805. This means that most likely people would identify as working or middle class. I don’t think this is a fair representation of the people living in my neighborhood, because I think the cost of living in NYC is much higher than the averages 4.1 considers.

1. Based on Reading 4.2, do you notice a general pattern about social classes in NYC?

Based on 4.2, it is easy to see that wealth distribution along subway lines correlates with neighborhoods. “Upper class” New Yorkers tend to live in Downtown Manhattan or Downtown Brooklyn, while the farther out from lower and mid-Manhattan you go, people tend to have lower median household incomes.