In social media, hashtags are used by users to categorize their content. Although this form of labeling was first created to be used in Twitter it is now employed across social media platforms (i.e: Facebook, Instagram etc…)
“The # symbol, called a hashtag, is used to mark keywords or topics in a Tweet. It was created organically by Twitter users as a way to categorize messages.
- People use the hashtag symbol # before a relevant keyword or phrase (no spaces) in their Tweet to categorize those Tweets and help them show more easily in Twitter Search.
- Clicking on a hashtagged word in any message shows you all other Tweets marked with that keyword.
- Hashtags can occur anywhere in the Tweet – at the beginning, middle, or end.
- Hashtagged words that become very popular are often Trending Topics.”
– “Using hashtags on Twitter” – Twitter Help Center