Course: SOC 100 (1708): Culture and Society | Spring 2020 | Prof. Alapo

Response Essay

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

yehuda lipkind
      Participant

<span style=”margin: 0px; line-height: 200%; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; font-size: 12pt;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>So far what I have learned in sociology has taught me that I am affected, and I have an effect on the society around me. It has made me look at who I am and what the society/societies I grew up in have done to make me who I am. From the religion I subscribe to, to the social media accounts that I see all the time, society’s effects are all around me. </span></span>

<span style=”margin: 0px; line-height: 200%; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; font-size: 12pt;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>For example, in the society that I most call myself a part of I am a leader, a friend, and a student. I lead the charge for many of the youth who look up to me as a part of the change that my community is undergoing; a stronger care for mental health, a better understanding of the way children takes in information, more open-minded discussions, and the such. I am a friend to those that I connect with, in the sense that I try my best to be a shoulder to lean on, a smile in a crowd of people celebrating another’s milestone, or even a voice of reassurance when times get tough. I consider myself a student despite the fact that I find myself teaching others. I am a mind that craves new perspective, a mind that wants to find truth no matter the cost, and I will go to sources that others would frown upon to find out the truth about the world and the people we live with. </span></span>

<span style=”margin: 0px; line-height: 200%; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; font-size: 12pt;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>All of this is not my own doing, I got to where I got to because of the places I was in and the people that built up the culture around me. Sometimes that was a negative thing, for example while studying at a rabbinic seminary in Melbourne, Australia I was surrounded by a culture that encouraged heavy drinking. I may have made some of the worst decisions of my life there, I loved the time I had there, but looking back at it I think about how unhealthy that culture is, and the issues it may lead to down the line. But, now I can say that because of that culture, because of the low places it took me, I have taken on a new lifestyle of sobriety and I am going on three years. </span></span>

<span style=”margin: 0px; line-height: 200%; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; font-size: 12pt;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>There are also beautiful things to the culture I am a part of, like the brotherly love and the care for someone who you don’t even know. I noticed that if I walk down the street and I find a dollar my first thought is to give it to the next homeless person I see, or to put it in a charity box. I make Friday night dinners occasionally for friends, and its not rare for there to be a few people I have never met at my table, or for me to get texts that same afternoon asking if someone could join my meal. This is actually one of my favorite things about my society, and its for that reason that I try so hard to help find truth and share it. </span></span>

<span style=”margin: 0px; line-height: 200%; font-family: ‘Times New Roman’,serif; font-size: 12pt;”><span style=”color: #000000;”>Looking at a totally new area of society, social media, I find that I have deviated from the norm. Or maybe I just am moving with the wave and not even noticing it. I used to be addicted to Instagram, I would use it day and night. It affected my sleep, my socializing, and my productivity. I would be browsing the endless amount of information found on the app and lost countless hours of my youth. One day I decided to try something radical, I deleted the app. I decided that my life was worth more to me than the false lives I saw on the app. I chose to only use the app on Sundays, and to unfollow anyone I don’t know or any big accounts (ESPN, Worldstar, celebrities, etc.). </span></span>

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.