Course: SOC 100 (1708): Culture and Society | Spring 2020 | Prof. Alapo

Reflective Essay

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Posts
    • #2117

Kimberly Sinche
      Participant

Society is defined by a specific area, culture and interactions. In this society I’m just a catholic latina. I don’t think I’ve given it much thought about what I specifically want my role or function to be in this society. I’ve mostly been influenced by my family. I have always been considered to have the “brains” in my family. I have an older sister who ended up being pregnant as a teen and didn’t get to go to college. Since then all the pressure and the weight has been relayed onto me. Be in honors, go to college, graduate, find a great job, etc. I’m the one now responsible to set a great example to my younger sibling.

Also, having my family who are not citizens trying to strive for something better has influenced me. My family reminds me that I have opportunities that others don’t.  I do see that side of things. I try to do better and be better for myself. Those I know can say that I’ve been a hard worker. They see me care for my family, help them out financially and to simply just be there for them. However, they can also see that I stress out. In trying to do better I pile a bunch of tasks on myself. I still yet have to find a way to balance things out. I’m always trying to learn something new and seek knowledge.

Judging myself, I can say that I know I’m trying my best. I seek for opportunities and experiences. I do what I can when I can and I know that I am reliable. I want to succeed by my own definition. I believe in creating a better future for myself and I also use the examples of those around me to learn from mistakes I’ve seen.

Viewing 0 reply threads