Course: SOC 100 (1708): Culture and Society | Spring 2020 | Prof. Alapo

Essay

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

Lazaros Amanatidis
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Sociology is the study of progression, construction, and functioning of human society. Sociology also focuses on group activity and groups and social activities and societies from various types of groups. All the way from large groups to not so large and little groups. Sociologists see patterns of behavior of individuals, groups, people, and structures that exist in society. In this essay I will be talking about many different things in the subject. I will also be discussing why I took the class as well as myself and my function in society.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The way that sociologists see patterns of behavior in for these is by examining the behavior of each living in the same society and  going through the exact pressures society has given them. A few examples of the people sociologists will study include married women, married men, teenagers, and senior citizens.     </span>Wright Mills is the creator of sociological imagination.  Mills introduced the idea in the concept in 1959 when he released his book. His book was titled the same as the concept, “Sociological Imagination”. It is one idea in the subject of sociology that connects the social lives and personal lives of people. In a few words, social imagination is seeing the connection or relationship between regular lives of individuals and social forces that are indeed wider. In Mills’ own words, “it is the capacity to shift from one perspective to another… the capacity to range from the most impersonal and remote transformations to the intimate features of the human self – and to see the relations between the two.” On the other hand sociological perspective is the study of social interactions, how those form societies groups, and human life.

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>A sociologist will define society as a group of people who live in a specific place, communicate with each other, as well as have the same culture. Sociologists do study all features of society as well as all the levels of it. There are sociologists who work from the micro-level and there are sociologists who work from the macro level. The sociologists who work from the micro-level will study individual interactions and little groups. On the other hand the sociologists who work from the macro level study trends from big groups and societies as well. </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>This sociology course was very necessary to me because my major is criminal justice. I am looking to transfer to John Jay College after BMCC. I want to become a detective. The field is very interesting to me. I am very excited and looking forward to what the career is going to bring.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The person I am in society is a white 20 year old man. I am full Greek and my religion is Orthodox Christianity. I am also a brother to one sister. Both of my parents were born in Greece but I was born in New York. Therefore, I am a Greek-American New Yorker.  I am the first generation who went to college. My parents did not go to college. Also I love to help people. I am a philanthropist as well as a humanitarian. I have volunteered to help charities and to help in many other things such as food drives. I also am a teacher in the way that I love to give people advice or feedback when they need or ask for it. If I can help someone with my view on a certain topic it means a lot to me. I’m also a part time college student and also work part time at Verizon wireless as an indirect agent. I am also an athlete and love watching and playing sports. I want the best person I can be and to give as much to my community as much as I can that is my role.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>People see me as a very nice person as well as articulate. They also see me as a funny person and down to earth as well.  Also others see me as a great friend and person. I have also been told that I am very giving, smart, and very hard-working. The way that others see me is the way I see myself as well.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>In conclusion, sociology is very important. It is a subject where you can learn many different things such as why people are who they are. The subject can also help learn things about yourself. Without sociology society would not be where it is today.</span>

Mehrangiz
      Participant

I think it’s important how you see your self, it encourages knowing you have done so much to help the society and in a way it pushes you to do even better stuff. My major is also criminal justice and its important for CRJ majors to understand society.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.