Course: SOC 100 (1708): Culture and Society | Spring 2020 | Prof. Alapo

2/11 Discussion

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author

francisco tigre
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Fransico Tigre</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Feb,10,20</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Soc 100</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>Professor DR. Alapo</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>   </span> <span style=”font-weight: 400;”> </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”> Who am I in this society? That question never actually came to my head until now. I don’t really know who am I supposed to be in this society because society right now is a bit messed up. I don’t even know whats my role I just do what I think is right. In, “Sociological imagination” by C. Wright’s mills he talks about how society impacts people’s lives. He thinks that people started to change because of how people are around them. </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>     In this society, I’m not sure who am I supposed to be because right now a lot of society is so messed up that some people don’t know what to do. However, for me, I like to help people so I believe in this society I’m supposed to help people that are struggling. When people see me they see me as a person from another country. But when I see myself all I see is a kind person, a hard-working person, a fun person, a person that likes to help others, and also a person that never gives up trying.  </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>     First thing first, what is society? Society has a way of changing people depending on what kind of media they are watching or who they hanging out with. There is a lot of patterns on how society can have an impact on people depending on their situation. Sometimes people change because they want to be noticed by others or because they didn’t get what they wanted. For example, in the article, the individual and his/her function in society, tells us that when people go meet up for coffee, they actually chat instead of drinking coffee together. But C.Wright mills say “Neither the life of an individual nor the history of a society can be understood without understanding both.” So we can’t know anything without learning about both society and ourselves.</span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>     A sociologist defines society when people are interacting with other people that have a different types of culture. When people have different types of culture it is great to interact with them because you learn something new about them and also get to know what they think about society a little bit more. From a sociologist’s point of view, they see how people have a difficult time making a personal decision on there own. So their cultural patterns and social forces put pressure on a lot of people just to select one choice over another persons choice. The sociologist tries to find out whats the pattern so they examine a large group of people that are living in the same society and also experiencing the same societal pressure to see if there are any similarities. According to Google the difference between sociological imagination and sociological perspective is that imagination</span> <span style=”font-weight: 400;”>provides us with the ability to see the relationship between the individual experience and the larger society. </span><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>The sociological perspective </span><span style=”font-weight: 400;”>allows us to find out why people do the things they do. What I am planning on doing with this sociology course is to learn more about our society and how we can make it better. </span>

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>        My purpose in society is to help people that really need it. Society right now may be messed up but we could make it better. So that people could stop being frustrated and so that they can stop following in other people’s footsteps. C. Wright Mills heavily priorities the fact that people need to stop allowing the media to influence their life choices. Sociologists always find new patterns on how people change by the media.</span>

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.