Course: MMA215-1300 Typography & Layout Fall 2020 Machauf

Different Approaches to Typography (video comments)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Posts
    • #4886

Juan Bracetty
      Participant

Juan Bracetty

Font Men

I guess it’s common knowledge, but I find it incredible that you can create your own fonts. That there are teams of people in specialized fields of typographic design that come together to build a font. That these two guys built an empire designing them. It feels like a well-oiled machine with multiple parts churning out font designs. Hoefler says in the video, the “design of the typeface is validated by the market” They’re a business, designing with a purpose, to sell.

The Sign Painter

This video unlike the other two focuses on a more human approach to typography. The sign painter Mike Langley reminds us of the natural beauty of hand painted signs, flaws and all. He presents himself as a nostalgic. I wonder if this approach to typography will eventually be lost in time. There will probably always be a niche market for it. I think it’s pretty interesting that this coffee company used Langley’s story as a promotional tool.

Ryman Eco

I absolutely love that there’s an environmentally conscious font in the world. And it’s beautifully designed. Why aren’t we all using Ryman Eco?

• #4901

Giulia Feleppa
      Participant

Starting from the fact that I found all three videos extremely interesting and inspiring, it is fascinating to see that behind each single letter of a typeface there is a meticulous work made by a single or an entire group of people. How typefaces are created according to the content and context in which they could stand.

Moreover, it is interesting to see how typography is used for different goals. Hoefler and Frere-Jones company creates a variety of nice and functional typefaces, already available or personalized onces. Their typefaces transmit ideas and concepts, mostly used and sold to big companies. On the other hand, Mike Langley goal is to express the personality of few clients and their philosophy. His work is not meant to be used by different clients all over the world and over the years, but to be authentic and unique as his clients are. Ryman Eco, instead, not only embraces the readability and the personality that a font should have but it goes behind. Dan Rhatigan work was born to reduce the use of link and the waist of cartages in the environment, to have a minor impact on the ecosystem, now and in the future.

While H&FJ Company and Mike Langley purpose is to sell or satisfy a big or small group of clients in a short or long term, Dan Rhatigan uses Typography to encourage sustainability and maybe to inspire future generations to create environment friendly fonts. Hoping that Mike Langley would use ecofriendly paintings for his job, do you think ecologically friendly typography could really make a significant difference? Wouldn’t the use of less paper be more effective?

• #4910

Giulia Feleppa
      Participant

Juan, I strongly hope handmade sign painters will not disappear. It is a form of art and as so it is a wonderful way of convey feelings. About Ryman Eco, I totally agree with you. I find the font extremely beautifully designed and I like the concept behind it. I think it is a really versatile font I would use for creative projects and not only.

• #4916

Juan Bracetty
        Participant

Ryman Eco really are trailblazers in the typeface community. I think if more font companies joined in the efforts to save the planet it could make a major difference. But maybe you’re right we have bigger fish to fry. I too plan on using the font in the future. In fact i’m going to download it now. It is free !  As for Langley, his passion and commitment to his craft is indeed truly inspiring.

Viewing 2 reply threads