Course: BUS 311-1900 | HR Management | Professor Buckler | Fall 2020

Learning & Development + Performance & Appraisal

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• Author
    Posts
    • #4454

Brielle Buckler
      Participant

Training & Development (or Learning & Development) is a subset of HR focused on improving group and individual performance through targeted initiatives to develop employee skills. In the past, L&D (as it is often abbreviated) was considered “nice to have” at a company; now, it is imperative. My background at the NBA was in Learning & Development, working with internal High Potential employees to skill up, as well as with individual NBA/WNBA teams to put L&D programs in place for their employees.

Think about what you’ve learned, as well as your own experience as an employee. Then, answer these questions:

• What development opportunities have you had in a job you’ve held?
      • Why do you think L&D is so important as organizations grow and change?
      • Why are performance appraisals important for employee morale?
      • Share an example of a positive or negative experience you have had with receiving feedback.

———————————————————————-

In order to receive full credit for this assignment, all components of this assignment are due by 11:59pm ET on Sunday, October 11, 2020. You should first contribute a thoughtful post of your own before viewing/commenting on the posts of others. Once you submit your post, you must respond meaningfully to at least two other classmates’ threads. This assignment is worth a total of ten (10) points — 6 possible points for your original post, and up to 2 points for each of the two responses to your classmates’ posts. Please reference our Discussion Rubric for more information.

• #5242

Selena Andrews
      Participant

When I worked in the hospital as a clerical associate I had to participate in many developmental opportunities and training. I’ve has to the new employee training and Saftey training. I had to get certified in HIPPA and also had to go through mentoring for the first three months of the position. The technical training was the most intense because I had to become knowledgeable in a computer application that the hospital used for scheduling appointments, accepting new clients, and putting in diagnosis. It is extremely important for L&D training because the employer needs to know that you are knowledgeable in your field especially working in a hospital. Mistakes can be very detrimental to the company and rather costly so it is essential that an employer train the employees to minimalize inaccuracy and costly consequences. Performance appraisals are important to employee morale because it allows the employer to see how much knowledge you retained and how well you are doing on the job. It also allows employers to know if you should be rewarded for carrying out your job duties or if you need additional training. Performance appraisals also let the employee know that there are some things that can be worked on to better their growth within the company. When I was working for the New York City Housing Authority I was told during my performance review that I need to work on my communication skills with the tenants. My supervisor praised me for the things that I did well and talked to me in a way where I didn’t feel attacked or offended so I received the criticism well. So I contacted HR and told them that I wanted to take a training course for communicating with the tenants. After the week-long training, my supervisor called me into the office and told me she saw a noticeable change in the way I talked to the tenants and because I took it upon myself to contact HR and schedule the training she was willing to throw out the previous performance review and replace with a new review with a better score. Without the training and development opportunities, I would’ve never been able to succeed in either one of these positions.

• #5292

Dimitri Jones
        Participant

Hey selena,

First I would say I know first hand how intense and important training on hippa is especially working in a hospital. Learning a new system can be very intense but learning hands on probably made it a little easier rather than actually just watching videos teaching yourself. I agree with your point on how important appraisals are because as  I stated in my post which u referenced it can boost morale along with providing awards or appreciation. During your time in NYCHA I like how you showed an example how she provided constructive criticism telling you to work on communication but also highlighting things you did well. Workers like yourself are great to have on the staff because after you received critiques you took it upon yourself to be proactive and find training to enhance your skills

• #5294

Jamel Purnell
          Participant

Hey Selena, I enjoyed reading your L&D / Performance and appraisal break down. Your real-world experience of working in a hospital is a direct way to point out exactly why L&D is essential to any business. I absolutely agree with your reasoning for L&D in the medical field as doctors get sued often for the tiniest mistakes. Inaccuracies are extremely costly in this field so I get definitely get it.  the medical field needs more folks like yourself who recognize and understand why Learning and Development are so important. I love how in your Housing Authority you were able to accept critiquing and know that you needed to go the extra mile to improve. This is why you will go far in life. Again a great read. Thank you.

• #5324

Shang Cheng
        Participant

Hi Selena, thank you for sharing your awesome L&D experience at work, I totally agree with you that L&D is important to business. It is great to learn that you take the initiative to accept suggestions and improve yourself with L&D opportunities.

• #5351

heaven jarrett
        Participant

Hello  ,

<b>First I want to say that I love that you took the initiative to take the step of reaching out to HR yourself to get the help needed . I know it can be hard to communicate effectively to  tenants , but the fact that  you were able to take your negative performance feedback . And come back to work with a positive change that your  supervisor notice is amazing . </b>

• #5353

Gilbert Ramos
        Participant

Hi Selena, I wanted to say that not only was asking for training smart and beneficial, but also who wouldn’t want an employee that’s dedicated into taking time in developing themselves more. Also as Heaven stated, taking that negative feedback and turning it into a positive. And congratulations on the certification. Awesome, keep up the great work!

• #5357

May Cortez-Beatty
        Participant

Hi Selena,

I am very impressed, how you went above and beyond to develop your Communication skills. This is an area I definitely need to work on.

• #5359

Jean
        Participant

Hi Selena,

I completely agree with Jamel response to your post, your L&D breakdown is well defined and spot on. I also agree with Dimitri that you are the ideal type of employee every organization seeks. Your ability to take constructive criticism to do better is a trait everyone should possess. Thank you for sharing!

• #5361

husna
        Participant

Hi Selena, I enjoyed reading about how you took communication training and used it to improve yourself and they way you talked to the tenants. It was impressive that you took the suggestion and applied it very thoughtfully by contacting the HR, and asking them to give you training on how to better communicate instead of you waiting for hem to give you training.

• #5248

Jamel Purnell
      Participant

I am very experienced in the concept of Learning and development. At my last employment opportunity this was often referred to as training and development, this was ultimately the same thing in which the company Pc Richard would highlight this as an organizationally part of HR. The goal of learning and development (L&D) is to align employee goals and performance with that of the organizations. The responsibility for learning & development within an organization must first identify skill gaps among employees and teams. Second, it must then develop and deliver training to bridge those gaps. Typically, L&D is led by the Learning & Development Manager. In my case at Pc Richard, it was a small group of trainers usually four or five individual’s that seen these task through. The Learning & Development Team/Management is responsible for developing and implementing an organization’s learning strategy.

These duties include a wide arrange of responsibilities that are both theoretically as well as technologically driven ranged from developing and implement learning strategies and programs that meet business needs, often evaluated organizational as well as individual employee development needs to effectively sale at the highest level, ensure alignment of learning & development department with business goals in the case of Pc. Richard. It was based around a month to date profits goals amongst many other managerial driven goals, optimize training processes as 96 stores had to attend these training on a weekly bases. Scheduling around store staffing and function ability was neatly orchestrated, manage and procure L&D technologies to facilitate learning and management of learning initiatives done through the state of the art learning facility which also housed designed e-learning courses and live vendor trainings, Interactive group training, and other training content, Implementing effective training methods to keep it fun and attentive. Manage personnel within the learning & development department, maintaining the learning & development budget within an organization and, lastly championing and marketing training programs to get managerial buy-in as well as employee commitment.

Performance appraisals are important for employee morale because keeping staff engaged and inspired is key to the success of any company. Yet, one of the main way’s companies evaluates their employees may do just the opposite. Indeed, annual performance reviews often cause people a great deal of grief. Not only do they create anxiety, but they are not very effective. For one, they only happen once a year, which does not allow for consistent feedback. Further, they usually take an hour or so, and that simply cannot cover the scope of a year’s performance. Most importantly, they do not instill confidence in individuals or teams. Employees dread receiving poor reviews and will end up looking at colleagues as competition for job security. Having this in mind, companies need standards, and managers must inspire staff to meet and exceed them. As a result, many companies are focusing on performance management to guide their employees to reach their best potential. From what I have experienced in the workforce it has been proven that untrained and unhappy employees may put you the business owner at risk. Risk mitigation through compliance training initiatives and workplace safety training and frequent follow-ups are extremely important to the process of performance Appraisals. Companies have a responsibility to ensure their employees work in a safe and welcoming environment. Though proper workplace behavior many feel like this is something people inherently know, companies can be proactive in training employees to maintain a safe and inclusive workplace. Implementing an effective ethics training program can help employees work better and minimize the risk of lawsuits for failing to comply with industry standards in safety and workplace behavior and/or low team morale.

Feedback in the workplace can often shape the outcome of a person’s performance. Positive feedback is given to employees when they meet or exceed business targets, overcome a challenge, go the extra mile, or introduce innovative ideas. Positive feedback is a meaningful and effective method to ensure your employees feel valued. On the flip side, negative feedback is usually put in place as a step toward corrective action or can be used as a tool to help employees strengthen documented weaknesses. Often, I’ve noticed that employees who are given effective, positive feedback are generally more engaged, productive, and loyal to the business. This often helps build a culture of feedback within the workplace n example of positive feedback would be my supervisor saying “Great work on your latest report. Your monthly goal was surpassed by over 50%! Your hard work will be a significant contribution to our business’s target for this semester.” For me, this is far more meaningful and goes far beyond the typical vague feedback like “well done” or “good work”. It makes me feel needed and appreciated within the company and shows my hard work is acknowledged. I can recall a time when my supervisor and office manager pulled me to the back office for an unprecedented sit-down. They discussed how I the only manager who had called out 30 days out of the following year due to medical complications. And although I had two weeks of vacation / sick time off annual, because I had exceeded this they had to take corrective action and give me a warning although I let him know ahead of time before me missing any days and needing to call out. This made me furious because the constant standing for 12 hours a day without being able to take a seat beyond your 45-minute lunch break as a company rule is the reason why I had so many complications. This negative feedback did not make me feel good and was a contributing factor to me resigning and going back to school and opening my own business.

Although the company did a lot of these things well the training was never truly effective to selling and gross profit margin of push merchandise on the floor an often came off rather cookie cutter and left more to be desired. My biggest grip in learning this information now is the fact that because it was a family-owned and operated business for over 104 years, the ceiling for growth in the company was very low. All the training and incentives to sell never lead to a promotion or pay raise as the sale staff was on commission and managers were on salary and have been hand-selected by district managers that used to be salesmen and have personal relationships with them or they have gained favoritism in the eyes of those higher up. I can see how having the right L&D team set up in H.R can greatly help a business excel and is essential in establishing a credible company that plans to stay for the long haul. Things like employee retention, future learning opportunities, affective training, workplace risk and morale, and customer service satisfaction are just a few of the most important takeaways of an effective Learning and Development. They all are the contributions and results of The learning & development management put in place to ensure that employees can successfully meet the challenges of their jobs and that they are properly aligned with the business goals of the company while helping to provide insight tackle issues and help your team/staff excel in the job.

• #5293

Dimitri Jones
        Participant

Hey Jamel,

I first would like to say I like your definition and interpretation of L&D. I feel like a lot of times people just give trainings in the workplace not aligning them with employees weaknesses so they can enhance their skills. I also would agree that employee appraisals are good in the workplace  because it motivates employees for bonus incentives and just the recognition. You touched on a key point because appraisals are also stressful. Many times  employees spend a lot of time trying to get the recognition or worrying what the evaluations display it can sidetrack their work performance.  I do believe the pros outweigh the cons because it benefits the environment as a whole

• #5354

Gilbert Ramos
        Participant

Hey Jamel, I completely agree with you on the comments about positive feedback. I barely received positive feedback in one of my jobs and i just didn’t feel valued at all or at times would question myself. And If I did received positive feedback as you said it felt vague or just said without meaning. Btw love reading your post, well informed and detailed!

• #5360

Jean
        Participant

Hi Jamel,

Your analysis was thorough and informative. Seems like the lack of understanding on your supervisor’s end contributed to your resignation which is completely understandable. The disregard of your situation reveals the lack thereof  a solid L&D team and structure. Hopefully after losing such a valuable asset to their team, your then-supervisor’s has made progressive changes… Thank you for sharing!

• #5256

Dimitri Jones
      Participant

As i work as a school safety agent we are consistently presented with opportunities that require us to be trained. As I joined the job I received a training on CPR and AED however we had other different policies and techniques that we are trained on  depending on the situation.  When it comes to my job we usually receive training based on sudden events or changes to the world. When it comes to learning and development I feel like it is important to actually know your employees and align them with training that can both educate them on policies and develop their skills. With that being said  I do feel like it is very limited on actually teaching you  new skills because we normally get refreshers based on old policies and nothing new to develop our individual skills.

Performance Appraisals  are very important on a job to employees because it increases moral often making the workers feel like they are appreciated. Making the staff feel appreciated and like you are proud creates a winning environment  which builds culture. I have personally been in two different work environments that do annual review systems. One job actually gave credit for going above and beyond  your job responsibilities providing bonus opportunities where the other job felt like you always “meet standards” because anything your doing is apart of your job providing no recognition for a job well done.  Although these two situations seem to be clear cut I must also say receiving reviews and bonus based acknowledgements can create inconsistencies or stress. In most cases reviews are done on an annual basis which is impossible for someone to remember everything done within the year unless documented.

My most recent experience happened to come on my current job which is school safety. Our job is to provide a safe environment conducive to learning where students and faculty can feel safe to learn.  In the year 2019 I was assigned to a suspension l for children that are either suspended from their or get enrolled there after being released from a juvenile center. For the year 2019 I didn’t miss one day of work with the exception of holidays, I retrieved ten weapons from students,  logged in  over 400 hours of overtime and suggested the changing of multiple protocols in order to ensure the safety of the students throughout the year. During my annual review we have three options below standards, meet standards , and above standards. I was given meet standards and then told by my boss that ” you did your job, you didn’t go above and beyond because it is what your expected to do”. It didn’t effect me or my performance moving forward but situations such as the one described should be recognized with something as little as a ” thank you for doing your job well” instead if ” you did what you were supposed to do”.

I think its very important to keep building on the L&D aspects in the work place. Not only should they train people consistently but continue to make it interactive so people can take interest in the training while learning.

• #5295

Jamel Purnell
        Participant

Hello Dimitri, Your summary viewpoints are extremely accurate to most workplaces. Your Performance Appraisal is spot on. I mention a lot the same viewpoints in my breakdown that you spoke on. Especially the fact that jobs can use the Performance Appraisals to build moral if done properly and is backed with some type of incentive to help push employees to want to perform at a high level. In most cases, these performance reviews are often more stressful than anything. It’s important for jobs to make their employee feel needed and appreciated. After reading your summary. I don’t know if I can ever work for school safety. Someone who did all you have mentioned should definitely have received a thank you at the least. I’m not sure how your stats stack up to others in your field but I definitely would ask what is a person who gets an above rating do differently from what I’m doing? I’d make that adjustment and document it just to see what my next review looks like. None the less I salute you because I wouldn’t have been able to just accept that and continue to function at a high level for someone who clearly doesn’t value the fact that I don’t call out, I’ve retrieved weapons from students and I clocked in 400 hours of overtime. Great read!

• #5344

Nadya Dunkley
        Participant

Hi Dimitri,

I agree with you when you say that training and development should be given to employee to help enhance the areas that they are already strong in as well as prepare them for the unfamiliar and educate them on policies. Also when you said that performance appraisals makes employees feel appreciated. I agree because I feel like the appreciation comes from the ability to be involve in the process of improving personally to make the whole team better. Dimitri I got offended for you when you mentioned what your boss said to you about doing your job. I totally get you there. I didn’t even want to begin to mention some things about my job but he could’ve definitely said thank you. That’s one of the problems with organizations nowadays the people who are appraising us need to also be appraised by us. Even though a lot of times when employees do so even though its illegal managers retaliate against them by sabotaging their jobs. Managers that perform performance appraisals need to have sensitivity training sometimes even if the feedback that they are given is based on facts their approach can makes things worst. Thank you for sharing Dimitri. Great post !

• #5262

Selena Andrews
      Participant

Dimitri, I can only imagine how many trainings one must take to become a school safety officer. So for a position like that the employer must have a lot of development opportunities for its employees because that job requires a lot from its employees and there would be so much to learn. I agree with you on why employee appraisals are so important and are so essential. Employees want to feel that their hard work is appreciated because if an employee feel like all of their hard work goes unnoticed and feels unappreciated they tend to do less. I know that at plenty of jobs I felt unappreciated so I wasn’t inclined to go above and beyond but once I found that job that gave praises and recognition I found myself going above and beyond and I didn’t realize until I left the position. Which goes to show you that a little appreciation and incentive goes a long way. Even with your annual review, if your boss would have given you a little appreciation you would have left that review feeling good about all that you do in your position. Yes, what you did is expected and you were doing your job but if worded differently than it would’ve given you a boost of confidence. I wouldn’t necessarily say that it was constructive criticism because the supervisor didn’t give any advice as to how you can your job better. In as far as L&D training I absolutely agree that is essential and should be given often as well as refresher courses. Interactive courses will definitely keep the employees engaged in learning and that will help them retain information.

• #5271

Chris Narine
      Participant

Christian Narine                                                                                                     October 8th, 2020

BUS311 1900                                                                                            Professor Brielle Buckler

Unit 6: Learning & Development + Performance & Appraisal

What development opportunities have you had in a job you’ve held?

In one of the jobs I’ve held prior, attending structured Learning and Development programs was an important subset of HR. The organization invested in training and development activities, including on the job and attending off the job seminars, conventions & product training facilities in a classroom environment, especially if the organization is an authorized reseller of products. For example, the organization was an authorized reseller & installer of several technology products manufactured by Cisco Systems. The technology & their scalability changed rapidly and so did the product line & the L&D programs.

Two other examples I can recall of being an important subset of HR L&D programs, for new and experienced employees are –

1. sexual harassment training. By completing the training, you are acknowledging & agreeing to the company’s code of conduct and reducing the organizations exposure to risk from potential lawsuits.
      2.  on-the-job training, apprenticeships and mentoring initiatives. I personally found this beneficial working alongside seasoned support engineers for their ‘Pro-tips’.

Why do you think L&D is so important as organizations grow and change?

L&D is so important as organizations grow and change, to ensure that both new and experienced employees have the knowledge and skills to perform their jobs successfully as the organizations business continues to evolve. Organizations invest in L&D activities in which the employee acquires additional knowledge or skills to increase job performance. L&D objectives specify performance improvements, reductions in errors, job knowledge to be gained, and the organization gauge these results, either positive or negative, sometimes as a comparison of actual output with expected output.

L&D programs prepare employees to assume positions of increasing authority and responsibility. These L&D programs can include job rotation, executive education programs, mentoring, and special-project assignments. For new employees, L&D is essential and usually begins with orientation, which entails getting the new employee ready to perform on the job. Orientation provides information about the company history, company values and expectations, policies, and the customers the company serves, as well as an overview of products and services.

Learning and Development, either on the job or off the job are an important subset of an organizations Annual or Quarterly Goals to ensure that both new and experienced employees continue to have the knowledge and skills to perform their jobs successfully and meet the organizations goals outlined for their departments which leads to overall organizational performance, productivity, and growth.

Why are performance appraisals important for employee morale?

Along with employee L&D programs, performance expectations through performance appraisal and evaluation, provides a structured forum for the employees and managers to review expectations about the job. These are typically communicated as job objectives, schedules, deadlines, and product and/or service quality requirements. Organizations typically use performance appraisals for several reasons: (1) to provide feedback to employees, (2) to allow for employee self-development, (3) to allocate rewards, (4) to gather information for personnel decisions, and (5) to guide them in developing training and development efforts. The employee and manager periodically meet to review the employee’s efforts and the employee has an opportunity to describe their contributions to the organization, in order to help the managers, make decisions about training, compensation, promotion, and other job changes.

Employees can utilize an organizations appraisal process to increase their overall morale by using the appraisal process as a tool to outline specific organizational goals relevant to their role & department. For example, an employee can develop a set of goals for themselves and use that as a metric when meeting with their managers. Goals should be high level enough to encompass the core outcomes for which the employee is responsible, but specific and clear enough so the employee will be able to measure. One of the popular techniques recommended by HR managers and described in the Unit 6 Lecture is the use of the S.M.A.R.T. goals formula to clarify and create new and improved goals:
      The Employee can use this tool to elicit more constructive feedback from their managers during the appraisal process. Manager feedback is an essential part of the employee’s performance review on how they can continually improve. Without this information, employees have little knowledge of how well they are doing their jobs and how they might improve their work.

Share an example of a positive or negative experience you have had with receiving feedback.

An anecdotal example from one my one of my very first experiences with an organization’s appraisal process were around selecting the types of metrics used for measuring performance for specific departmental tasks. The metrics were either – Needs Improvement, Meets Expectations & Exceeds Expectations. The process entails the that the employee completes their self evaluation by selecting one of the metrics for each of a series of specific departmental questions & our manager completes a separate employee evaluation, then we meet to discuss & compare our evaluations at a later date.

I had selected on my first time completing this form – ‘Exceeds Expectations’ for all questions. When my manager met with me to review our evaluations, he asked why I had selected that metric for all the questions. I responded smiling “I thought I did a great job this past year, & deserve more challenges”

Our manager smiled, and we continued with the appraisal process where he explained each metric and described how to include supporting comments to support my metric of choice. I ended up by throttling back some of the metrics and adding comments, using the process to help me improve our departments manufacturing and deployment process, by identifying areas of improvement, resulting in creating measurable goals for our next appraisal meeting. Overall the feedback and experience were positive.

I continue to learn a lot from an organization’s L&D program and continue to navigate techniques around utilizing the appraisal process for self development and motivation.

Work Cited

Introduction to Business. 8.5 Performance Planning and Evaluation.

https://openstax.org/books/introduction-business/pages/8-5-performance-planning-and-evaluation. Accessed Oct 8, 2020

Human Resource Management. 11.1 Performance Evaluation Systems. https://www.oercommons.org/courses/human-resource-management-3/view. Accessed Oct 8, 2020

Works, Emerald. How to Make Your Goals Achievable https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/smart-goals.htm. Accessed Oct 8, 2020

• #5327

Shang Cheng
        Participant

Hi Christian, I like how you define L&D and your understanding on the importance of L&D to both employees and employers in business, I agree with your point of view that performance review play an important role on improving employees and performance appraisals increase their overall morale.

• #5342

Nadya Dunkley
        Participant

Hi Chris,

I like the part when you said you continued to learn from your organization. I liked it because I can totally identify with that at my job. It takes a particular set of individuals to continue to grow even when they know that their performance is optimal. This is what develops our mastery. Among the best there is the knowledge that their is always room to grow. As far a Learning and Development I believe that this is one of the greatest benefits of the performance appraisal. I like how your job allows you to do a self evaluation. At my job after they review your evaluation that they make they ask for our feedback. I’ve been top seller for the past 4 years and I always ask my managers to give me honest feedback on how I can improve even when I know I’m doing well. Learning and Development has also helped to motivate me to become better at my job. Great post !

• #5272

Chris Narine
      Participant

Comments to classmates

Hello Jamel,

Thank you for your post.

Your first paragraph described the relationship with the goals of L&D and identifying the skill gaps among employees & teams along with developing the training to fill the gaps. It sounds like PC Richards tailored the training to fill the gaps identified. This appears to be a familiar theme with organizations that are authorized resellers of technology items & smart appliances, to ensure that both new and experienced employees have the latest knowledge, skills, price information to be successful in their jobs and help make the organization a success.

Your description of the performance of their appraisal causing grief and anxiety was disappointing, especially for an organization that you mentioned has been around for over 104yrs with over 96stores. Performance appraisals is one of the most important and often one of the most mishandled aspects of management. From Unit 6 Lecture, it appears the company’s Learning & Development management team that coordinates the training should take an opportunity to look at examples given with Starbucks & the Baristas. I understand your thoughts regarding no room for growth for a family owned business where the ceiling stops after you have reached a certain level in the company, can be demoralizing. However, the way you demonstrated examples of clear metrics with positive feedback and how it impacts your employee morale by identifying specific feedback in the example you provided “Your monthly goal was surpassed by over 50%! Your hard work will be a significant contribution to our business’s target for this semester.” For me, this is far more meaningful and goes far beyond the typical vague feedback like “well done” or “good work”.

Your thoughts on proper workplace behavior and people’s inherent behavior suggest that the company ethics training might need to be implemented at a higher frequency or may be targeted. And ensure the training is taken seriously. I have had experience taking an ethics program & by completing you are acknowledging & agreeing to the company’s policy and therefore reduce the risk of lawsuits to the company if you fail to comply. The personal experiences you identified appeared unfair. The accuracy and fairness of the appraisal should be the primary considerations in the evaluation system.

Thank You,

Chris Narine

• #5273

Chris Narine
      Participant

Hello Selena,

Thank you for your post.

The training and development sounded intense. From becoming familiar with a hospital proprietary computer system you’ve never had experienced with, becoming certified in HIPPA rules and safety training in just the first three months. I wonder what the other three months were like? Your description of putting in diagnosis information into a computer system you never had experience prior would increase my anxiety. I agree, that L&D training would be very important for the employer to ensure that each employee is knowledgeable because in a hospital, as you rightly indicated “mistakes can be very detrimental to the company and rather costly”.

I like your thoughts on the performance appraisals and the effect on employee morale allowing the employee to show how much they have accomplished and describe the knowledge they’ve retained. Your thought on the employer using this as the bases of an organizational reward system, particularly a merit-based compensation plan or accepting new challenges in the organization seems like an effective tool.

The example of the non-confrontational feedback you received while at NYCHA and acting on it, looking for upskilling opportunities by consulting your HR team. Further executing on what you had learned was a rewarding experience. Sharpening your communication skills will follow you around in any organization, and as you indicated you were successful in those positions.

Thank You,

Chris Narine

• #5291

Shang Cheng
      Participant

Learning and development opportunities are valuable, in my previous job I had some chances get to familiar with the company’s ERP system, we as accountants had trainings for the new accounting and production software, improving WIP procedures to meet the fast changing environment and business needs. My other l&d opportunity I had from the job is the analyzing skills, I got to expose to many financial data and records. Accounting staff in the company received free Microsoft online courses to improve our skills. L&d has great benefits for the business as well as the team members with required skills and efficiency.

The systematic l&d ensures that new employees get familiar with the company’s overall strategy and requirement, it also help the employees to acquire the necessary knowledge, build employees skills to be successful in their positions. L&d ensure individuals getting most updated information and technologies and help themselves to adapt successfully to a rapidly changing business environment as well as their set goals.

The performance evaluations provide the opportunities monitor and evaluate the performance, they help employers decide employees’ raises, promotions and the rewards such as annal bonuses. The performance appraisals and rewards also make employees feel valued and recognized for work, the performance appraisals are getting the employees high motivational impact and let employees keep learning and better equipped themselves with skills and technologies. Employees learning and improving process give the business positive feedbacks which benefits the business in return.

My positive experience I had with receiving feedback in my previous job is the annual “secret” birthday party throw at the workplace. On each employee’s birthday, the tradition is to have a party and the direct supervisor always give a short speech to present a fun fact or cute litter story related to him/her. He also summarizes employee’s performance in the year and share his positive reviews on how the efforts benefit the team. Sometimes they also give valuable advisement to help new employee settle into their roles.

• #5330

Nadya Dunkley
      Participant

Nadya Dunkley

October 9, 2020

BUS 311 [1900]

Prof. Brielle Buckler

Unit 6: Learning and Development & Performance Appraisal

At Victoria Secret we have monthly and seasonal iPad training that we must complete to keep up with product knowledge and company morale. The trainings on the iPad is called VSU (Victoria Secret University) and VS Now. In these modules we are informed on new product launches and upgrades as well as companywide seasonal updates. To motivate the employees to complete their training each employee receives their monthly Gratis incentive only if the training is verified complete by their manager or supervisor. The training and development modules from the company helps but so much. The real training and development comes from having one on one reviews with the Manager and where you receive individual feedback and work with them to come up with an individual training plan. The development opportunities I have had in my job is learning how to spend less time with each customer. Learning and Development is essential to employees because as organizations grow and change the employees of the organizations need to be equipped with the knowledge and the tools to not only adapt but to also grow with the changing environment in order to be compatible in the reality of a new setting. Performance appraisals are important for employee morale because it provides an actual account of the employee’s performance compared to work standards. The performance appraisal provides information based on the facts of the employee’s performance analysis. Without the appraisal an employee might be under the impression that their performance is optimal or insignificant while the appraisal is the tool that will produce the facts that will support the employees and the employers’ estimate. It is important for employee morale because it gives the employee direction. A said employee will know exactly how they are performing what their strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats are. Doing this will help the employee work together with the employer to set learning objectives. The employer will be able to help the employee focus on their specific areas of opportunity by designing the training process. The employees will become more confident in their strengths while also have the security of know where they have opportunities and how to approach them. This will make any employee better because if done correctly they will develop trust between employee and employer and feel more confident about their individual contribution and performance. Employees will be able to see that the leadership team is to be viewed as much more than manager, supervisors, and executives but most importantly as a resource to work with to come up with solutions in becoming better at their jobs. I received feedback from my boss during my performance review that I need to give my clients homework and break away from my clients faster. My boss explained that because of my skill set I have to potential to maximize my individual sales if Id spend less time with each client and give them homework to do instead of personal shopping with them. I took this feedback and tried it. I realized that by doing so I was able to gain more clients and not only so but my clients felt more at home because I would give them directions on how to navigate the store and also make myself available to them so that they were assured that they still had hands on help if needed. I would not wait for them to check with me I would periodically check on them. It was clear that her feedback made me better at my job when the metrics were review, I had more transactions per hour for each segment. This made my boss and I happy and a few reviews later she promoted me to bra fit expert which is considered a leadership position which entails training a development to the selling associates as well as supporting the sales floor by selling from the fitting room, working personally with clients by providing the bra fit experience in the fitting room.

• #5355

heaven jarrett
        Participant

Hey ,

I totally agree that the more a Supervisior shows appreciation to their employees/ staff the more trust will be built . No one wants to work long hours and feel like the hard work – dedication they put into the company goes unnoticed. In addition telling an employee their performance analysis each month benefits both the company and employee for growth/development.

• #5362

husna
        Participant

I totally agree with what you said about the employee appraisals and how they play an important role in an employees performance and dedication at work. Also if employees are being motivated and appreciated by their seniors constantly, it will help the company grow and employee too.

• #5333

husna
      Participant

I worked at a retail store through a program called Door. For that I had to take a four week training and learn the process of working in a store. Some of the skills that I learned included communication, collaboration, listening and productivity. Even though these skills are learned in school, I had the opportunity to use these skills outside of the school environment. Communication skills are vital in an efficient workplace. It’s a great way to build positive relationships with coworkers. Communication is the key when it comes to the customers. Working in retail, it’s very important to know how to communicate properly with the customers; because if customers are not happy then it means that one failed at good communication skills. Collaboration is a skill learned at a young age. It involves working with others from different backgrounds to achieve a common goal. It can inspire more productivity than when a person works alone. It is also very important in businesses because without collaborating, a business can’t reach its goal without its employees’ collaboration.

Moreover, L&D is important because employees demand new opportunities to learn and training employees improves bottom line. With learning and development focusing on filling in knowledge gaps and teaching by focusing on the strengths of their employees, companies have reported profits. According to Indeed, “IBM study found that well trained teams increased their productivity by 10%.” Equipping employees with ability to do their jobs is better. Moreover, L&D results in improved Customer service and satisfaction. In other words, customers look at company employees as experts in their field with the ability to deliver information. When a customer takes their time out to wait or schedules to speak with someone, then it is important that employees are knowledgeable enough at their companies products to deliver a satisfactory conversation. Therefore, training employees to learn and develop helps the organization.

The performance appraisals have a significant impact on employees morale and performance. The appraisals can help employees identify their strengths and weaknesses and reach their full potential. It also provides the opportunity to recognize and rewards employees so they feel valued for the work they do. When I was doing my first internship, my supervisor was asked to give me feedback on what I was doing well and what I can improve. She told me that I don’t always have to be asked to do certain things, and that I should look around and see what there needed to be done without someone else asking me to do it first. I took her advice and applied to my other jobs and improved on it.

• #5343

Ishraq
      Participant

I worked for a non profit organization called Union settlement.  The position I took in their elementary afterschool program is teachers Aide. The development opportunities that I got from this job was acquiring my Mandated Reporter training. This training helps me identifying and reporting Child abuse and Maltreatment.  I was also required to take a 2 hour training for early childhood education and training. Learning and development is so important in an organization because it helps the workers learn how to become better and more efficient workers. So if you want an organization to succeed then you must implement an learning and development training. Workers gain confidence when they receive training from their jobs because it shows that the organization wants the worker to grow and learn more.  The performance appraisals are important for employee morale because an employee comes to work everyday on time and he’s committed to giving his 100% to his job. Then he deserves to be recognized for his commitment by his employers because he’s giving it all to impress the higher ups in his organization. There was this one time when a student got into a fight with another student and I was there to break it up and I managed to avoid a kid from throwing a chair. My boss praised me for my quick reaction time because if I wasn’t there that kid would have been hit by a chair.

• #5349

Selena Andrews
      Participant

Hi Nadya I think it’s smart that your job requires the employees to complete the training in order to receive the incentives because it gives the employees motive to complete the training. I also agree with you that company’s rules, and regulations change often and these trainings equip the employees with the necessary tools they need to change with the company. I am happy you were able to take constructive criticism and improve your performance to be able to benefit you and help you grow within the company.

• #5350

heaven jarrett
      Participant

<b>The last two years I’ve been working with dycd as an after school counselor with kids ages 9-13. Working under the dept. Of education you must get fingerprinted and take certain development courses before you start . Such as a training called “ mandated reporter “ and “ Early childhood “ online . Learning & development is very important especially in the education field because we serve as the future leaders. Training before we start a job benefits the employees to support personal growth and development . In addition to helping us get better clarity of our job duties and how to go through certain situations that might arise. Appraisals are beneficial in an organization as it  provides the opportunity to recognize and reward employees. Also to ensure they feel valued for the work that they do . An example I can reference to is to last summer we had an situation where a supervisor made the kids feel scare due to an overreaction of an flood in the school . As i stepped in to help calm the camp down and reassure the kids everything was gonna be ok. My boss was proud of my team ,  Because we were able to de escalate the madness and stay professional . </b>

• #5352

Gilbert Ramos
      Participant

L&D to me is try to align goals of the employees along with their performance with that of the organization. When I was working at my previous job, my role was a school aid. As years passed, we began having different principles. The principle that recently took over decided to that she wanted me to do more hands on support with computers, printers, and troubleshooting. This caught me off guard because I was not really given a choice or a warning before hand. So over the summer the principle was kind enough to get me some basic technical training so I can become more familiar with the task at hand. Sadly unlike in the article “8.3 Training Delivery Methods” I did not have anyone to check up on me or to show me if I was doing anything correct or not. To be honest that person to check up on me or help me out was google. I felt like the principle did not want to spend money on hiring someone new that actually knew what they were doing, so they tried it the cheaper way. That’s my assumption. I am more than positive if I had an On-the-job training coach that I would’ve performed much better instead of panicking when dealing with the kids acting up in the school to faculty asking me to troubleshoot as if I had prior experience. It was very chaotic for me. One of the most important thing about L&D in my opinion is training your employees improves productivity but also having untrained employees can put you at risk. As it states in the article about IBM, a study found that well-trained teams increased their productivity by 10% and when focusing on their employees strengths/knowledge that profits have increased up to 29%. Performance appraisals are important for employee morale because it provides important feedback to employees, individuals can learn about their strengths/weaknesses and improve upon that and especially training and development. One example of positive feedback I received at work was when I was able to restore connectivity to several iPads because of some glitch in the VPN that until I left the job was still unknown why. I first tried to solve it on my own and I didn’t succeed. So I researched online and still did not get the information that was needed for the problem. I then made a few phone calls and logged into chat rooms and still! was not able to get an answer and a solution as to why. After gather information and messing around with it, i was able to make them reconnect to the wi-fi again.

• #5358

Jean
      Participant

<span style=”font-weight: 400;”>I have interned with a non-profit organization that assists with immigrants, refugees, and low-income families. This was my first receptionist position; the job entailed screening phone calls, scheduling appointments, receiving and directing the client to the appropriate admin.  The organization held by-weekly meetings on updated partnerships, programs, and different awareness seminars. As well as weekly briefings that ensured everyone was on the same page and was a space for any inquiries. L&D is a vital component of an organization. L&D programs increase motivation within employees, making the job feel less robotic but more purposeful. A better trained and equipped employee is more likely to perform better at their job. All the while contributing to the evolving company’s advancement and efficiency. Performance appraisals are essential to employee morale. It helps both the organization and the employee to identify the employee’s strengths and weaknesses. Acknowledging strengths of the employee can help build confidence and giving constructive criticism will allow the employee to improve in the necessary areas.  Not to mention an appreciated worker is more likely to be loyal and dedicated to their job. And referring back to Unit 3, Zappos company culture is a great example. Satisfied employees can help bring your company to great lengths. An experience I’ve had with positive feedback is when I was acknowledged by clients that I am very proactive. I try to be because it definitely is my job but being recognized for it definitely makes my role feel more purposeful. </span>

• #5363

Gabriela
      Participant

When I was in school, I worked in at Caterpillar Financial as an intern I had a chance to learn and develop a lot. The company has a few initiatives to help employees to be better. One thing that came to my mind is that the company would offer it to all employee’s level, including interns that would be there for a specific period and that meat a lot because I would carry that for anywhere, I would go. I remember the 6-sigma methodology that was implemented in the training, that I felt it was very straight forward and everyone could learn and develop in a way that everyone would participate and learn a lot, exposing ideas, bring diverse thoughts,  listing to others, and focusing on solving problem mindset, learning how to relate to customers as the company also bring solutions to its business. It’s a way for the company to invest in its employees as well as in the company.

Also gives a chance to engage with other employees at different levels, developing people’s skills. Many times, you would get feedback from other people that I was not part of my team, and that is very important as a way to engage and motivate. Even, when is bad feedback, you can learn from another point of view and have a different perspective and it can be helpful as well to help you learn more and develop.

Still, at Caterpillar, they had a reward program that work also as evaluation as well. Everyone could give a “company check” up to a certain amount when you feel someone from a different area did a good job. Also, your superiors would be notified, and it worked as an evaluation, reward, and motivation. I had an experience receiving it from a different department when I created a process to track our customer service and collection. After receiving that I felt that my work was recognized and kept me pushing to be a better employee and to keep challenging me.

• #5549

Richard Kearse
        Participant

Hello Gabriela,

I agree when you stated that “after receiving that I felt that my work was recognized and kept me pushing to be a better employee and to keep challenging me,” once you get that recognition it gives you that motivation to do better. Not only as an individual but also as an employee.

• #5368

May Cortez-Beatty
      Participant

As a reservationist in the Roosevelt hotel, I have had different opportunities that have been essential and helpful in enhancing my career to a higher level. For instance, the hotel selected me to represent its employees in social skills training through an outside training center. The program helped me develop effective communication skills with clients and colleagues and interpersonal skills necessary for teamwork. As the hotel grows and expands, the scope of operation increases. These include handling a higher number of clients with different needs, new technologies are introduced as the old ones are abandoned, and the external environmental factors such as policies also change. Therefore, learning an</span></span><span class=”s2″>d development are essential in bridging the skill gaps of the available employees to meet the skills required in the use of new technologies and handling customers. L and D keep employees updated about the current policies hence offering improved customer service and satisfaction.

Performance appraisal provides essential data and insights about the employees’ skills, growth, achievements, and gaps that need to be filled. HR can obtain valuable information through performance appraisal to help the company decide on promotions, rewards, raises, and bonuses. The assessment serves as motivation for employees since the outcome of performance evaluation is commonly associated with work promotions, rewards, pay raises, and dividends. The employees’ morale at work will be enhanced if the organization has a performance appraisal culture and rewards the best participants. Working as a reservationist means having direct engagement with the clients. One experience in receiving feedback was a negative attitude a client had towards me based on my career. However, I have received positive feedback on good customer reviews and rewards for the ability to effectively handle VIP reservations.

• #5476

Richard Kearse
      Participant

As a sales associate for Victoria Secret, they presented a lot of development opportunities that required us to be trained or have some form of knowledge towards what we doing. When it came to what I was doing I used my interpersonal and persuasive skills to increase skills and standout! Learning and development is important coming from a retail background because it differentiates whether or not if the job is for you or not. From its dress code to the rules and regulations.  Performance appraisal is as important as learning and development because it shows your progression throughout the months. And if you’re a goal-oriented individual it’ll be fun! I remember there was this one time when I was fulfilling the manager position role as a sales associate and the Beauty supervisor gave me an evaluation and a write-up. Mentioning about my tardiness and lateness, as while as, me not moving with a sense of urgency!  I laughed because I was the only individual that she gave the task to and stated “Why didn’t you help me? if I didn’t complete the task in a timely manner!” Ever since then, I purposely move slowly to piss her off and to get a little thrill from it. It’s a different kind of atmosphere for a guy working at Victoria Secret cause you have to learn how to say and when you say things. Cause something so small as a compliment can be blown out of proportion. But, overall it is a great community to be a part of.

Viewing 18 reply threads