Home » Application » Weekly Module 3: Site Visit Application Post (Scenarios)

Weekly Module 3: Site Visit Application Post (Scenarios)

After reading the Site Visit Situations, answer the following questions:

1. In Weekly Module 1, you identified time management strategies to use for taking an e-learning course.  How are those strategies working?  What is successful? What do you have to change?
  2. For each situation, do you feel comfortable with A or B? Why?
  3. What are your thoughts and reactions?
  4. What are your judgments about the program and staff?  Be honest.

Respond to 2 other posts!

Site Visit Scenarios 209-S H

1. Scenario 1/ The best way to handle the late arrival is to have a talk with your coworker. Let him know that by leaving you with the children could cause a safety risk. You have to get to the root of a problem ,for the employee maybe haven’t a personal life crisis. Maybe he can switch time schedules with another worker who can meet the schedule.

Scenario 2 the center can make sure that the child naps longer before 12:00 p.m. Then in the afternoon put the child in another classroom while your classes naps in the afternoon.

The 4th scenario To solve this issue the teacher can make sure that the child engage in activities that don’t involve a lot of dirt. The parents can also be made aware that getting dirty is a healthy part of the a child’s development. Suggest they leave extra clothes be left at school.

2. #1: I would talk to my co-worker one on one to make sure he/she is aware of the problem and if they still continue to come to work late then I would speak to someone with a higher position than me to ask for more help with the kids.
    #4: If the parents of Marcus ask me as his caregiver to not let his clothes get dirty then I would respectfully respect their request and I would ask them if they can bring another set of clothes for him to actually get dirty in so that when its time to go home he’s all nice and clean.
    #10: If Miguel’s family is worries about his diaper rash I would make sure I try my best to change his diaper every hour like how they asked me too.

3. (I realized I answered the wrong questions so I answered it again but this time answering the correct questions.)
    Situation 1: I feel more comfortable with scenario A. I feel like the children should have the freedom to do as they pleased they shouldn’t feel forced to do anything they don’t wan to do.
    Situation 2: I feel more comfortable with scenario A because sleep/rest is extremely important in a child life. related to the conversation we also had in class nap time is also to give the teachers in the room with the children and break.
    Situation 3: I feel more comfortable with scenario A because it shows that the classroom has a set routine for each child since they are toilet trained.
    Situation 4: I feel more comfortable with scenario A. Although it will take the children some time to feel comfortable without their parents being with them for hours, in my mind it is also the best way to allow the kids to understand their new environment. they will eventually feel safe and know what to expect after a while.

• Hey Isis I also agreed with scenario A for situation 4. Like we talked about in class being able to say bye is important for a child to know it’s okay for their parents to leave and this ultimately helps them with saying goodbye to people later in life. Children will learn that even when their parents say bye and leave at drop-off they will come back to pick them up.

• Hey Isis, I definitely agree with you on situation number 4 and the scenario that you picked (A), it definitely would take time for children to adapt to new environments. However by not having there parents around it would defiantly speed up the process. Good Job :).

• Isis — Thanks for re-posting your responses! How are your strategies for being successful in an on-line class (the video from week 1) working? I am noticing you feel comfortable with all “A” responses. I wonder how we can help families feel safe in the program too (situation #4). How will the staff know what the baby’s preferences, likes, dislikes are?

4. Situation 1: To be honest I am a little conflicted on scenario A and B, Yes I believe a teacher should most definitely clean up the room while the children are eating and have the children socialize and eat on their own but I also believe that while they are socializing and not eating, they could lose out time to actually eat their food and have missed out on their lunch time. I also think it is good for teachers to help the student with utensils for eating because you don’t want the children to think it is ok eating with their hands. So I guess I would choose scenario B because they are being looked after and being taught table manners and to remind the children on using silverwares.

Situation 2: I would definitely agree with scenario A because like in class we discussed how it is important the teachers in the room take a break, and its also good for the teachers to guide the children to their cots and help them to get as comfortable and relaxed as possible. The soft music and the back rubbing helps a lot for children to fall asleep faster.

Situation 3: I agree with scenario A because they help the children go to the toilet and a few pre schools have a requirement that children have already been toilet trained.

Situation 4: I agree with scenario A because having the experience with dropping my son off at daycare and telling the parents to leave, yes my son cried but after a while of repeatedly bringing him to the daycare that he spent almost the whole day in he grew to actually enjoy it. He would cry at times when I dropped him of but I would later find out from his teachers that he was great the rest of the day and it took only a matter of two weeks for him to officially not cry when I had to leave after dropping him off. so I definitely think its better the parents leave.

• Hey Tiana, I was conflicted on situation 1 as well, but ultimately felt more comfortable with B. Based on my own cultural background, I would teach a child to use proper silver ware but then I thought of the different cultures that prefer to eat with their hands. If ever the child’s family wanted to encourage the child to do so, I would be fine with it as well.

• Tiana — Thanks for sharing your thoughts! How are your strategies for being successful in an on-line class (the video from week 1) working? I meant the scenarios to be challenging ones that you have to “wrestle” — with no “easy answers”! For situation #2 back rubbing does help children fall asleep, but is it “forcing” children to sleep? Do you agree with the policy that children have to be potty-trained to go to preschool? For situation #4, how do we help families develop trust with teachers?

5. 1. In week one I identified my time management strategies as being good but using a calendar to help me keep organize. This strategy is going pretty well, but I notice that my personal notes and appointments are getting overshadowed by my important school dates, so I
    concluded that I need to get two separate calendars. One for school and one for everything else in my personal life.
    2. Situation 1 – Both situations are tricky because we don’t know what the dialogue was for scenario A as to why only one teacher is eating. Do they take turns eating or maybe they planned it so that only one teacher eats at a time while the others help clean? I feel for situation A the teachers are letting the children be independent and for scenario B they aren’t. At first I was thinking maybe scenario B would be a more comfortable situation for me because I’ve worked through my day without taking lunch before and in scenario B the teachers are reminding the students of how to have manners and use their silverware, but after reading both scenarios again I thought to myself that these scenarios are more about the children’s independency, so I changed my outlook on the situation and thought about scenario A being a more comfortable situation to be in.
    3. Situation 2 – I have seen this scenario play out while observing for my ECE110 class and through my experience of observing and from being a mom, I have to say I feel more comfortable with scenario B. I know all children at home are on different schedules and may not all nap at the same time or even nap at all. I believe giving a book to a child who may have trouble napping is fine. In scenario A the teachers don’t seem to be individualizing each child needs. It seems as if they are forcing each child to sleep in a way. By rubbing and patting them until they fall asleep, I also believe this may take a lot of time for a teacher to do for each child, which may not be the most productive thing to do.
    4. Situation 3 – From experiences as a mom I have been able to help my children toilet train by showing them how to use the toilet then allowing them to do it on their own, so I can connect more with scenario A, but I think I would be more comfortable in a school setting with scenario B. While I never experience children given signs and showing their readiness when they are ready to use the bathroom on their own, I have heard stories and people say it is very likely for children to go on their own when they are ready. Scenario supports the children’s independency, so I’ll say scenario B will make me more comfortable.
    5. Situation 4 – This situation was also a little tricky for me because as a parent I would feel more comfortable with scenario B but as a teacher I understand the importance of getting a child into the drop off routine. I think we all know as parents we can’t be in a child’s classroom with them every day, so allowing the parents to stay in the classroom or on-site will often make it harder for the child to adapt to the school setting. I think scenario A is more rational for a child when trying to get them to adapt into a school routine.

• Hey Erica, I agree with you on some of the scenarios and even the once’s that we seems to have different opinions on I completely understand where you are coming from based on your personal experiences. I also love your details and explanations Great Job :).

• Hey Erica, I give credit to you for being able to effectively use a calendar. I get so paranoid that I’ll miss an assignment that I check my syllabus everyday. I like how you came to conclusion that you needed two calendars so that your school works wont get overshadowed. SN: I really enjoyed working with you for teacher’s day!

• Erica — Thanks for sharing! 2 separate calendars — wow! That seems intense! I am going to create a calendar for ECE 209 on Open Lab, which should help! I truly appreciate you pouring out your “inner dialogue” into the post!!!! There are no right or wrong answers — just different practices that you might see. We can talk in class about the “reasons” behind the staff behavior in each situation.

6. All of the strategies that I have mentioned in the Weekly one model have been working out just great for me. Due to the successful outcome I have not made any changes yet. Hopefully I won’t have to in the future either.

Situation #1: For situation number one I would feel more comfortable using scenario B, because teachers are not allowed to eat at the same time as children.Teachers have their own break when all the children are napping. Teachers duties are to look over children and make sure everyone is fed well or if any of the children is having a problem to kindly assist them. Also teaching children table manners is a very big plus in the educators end because every child needs to understand respect and manners as they grow it can be very useful in their daily lives.

Situation #2: For situation number two I would feel more comfortable using scenario A, because Every child has to understand that there are rules in an environment such as a daycare. We need to teach children that when it’s time to eat we all eat, when it’s time to play we all play, and when it’s time to rest we all rest, etc. Also sleep is really important for brain development and growth in every child’s life. Teachers being able to help children fall asleep faster shows that they truly do care about each child and their routine schedule. Also to mention every teacher needs a break, so they are able to rest as well.

Situation #3: For situation number three I feel more comfortable using scenario A, because this scenario shows that the program is really strict on their routines and also show 100% interest in completing every child’s needs and expectations for their age before they release them to an upper school grade. If every child is expected to do certain things by specific ages, and that is the way it is happening in that program, this means the program is doing a great job of meeting those expectations and they truly do care about those children.

Situation #4: For situation number four I feel more comfortable using scenario A, because although every child is more comfortable around their parents, it is important that children don’t get too attached to parents and lead to actually them never adapting to their new environment. Of course the children would cry for a few days while they are getting dropped off by their parents, however eventually they will get used to the routine and have a clear expectation. Also having parents around is not ideal because children are not able to fully explore their surroundings while they have their parents next to them, this will have a negative effect on the program because children are not having contacts with other children and getting to play with each other because they are wrapped up around their parents in there comfort zone.

7. Proud to say that my strategies have been working out well for me. I’m checking my syllabus daily to make sure I stay on top of assignments that are due and asking question for clarification.

Situation 1: From my personal experience, I’m more comfortable with scenario B. I find that children sometimes are more interested in food when adults eat besides them. I also believe its best to encourage children to use proper silverware so that they can work on their fine motor skills and daily activity skills early on.

Situation 2: I’m more comfortable with A. I believe its important to create an environment so that children can differentiate what is going to happen. By dimming the light and playing soft music the children will be cued to know its naptime. I also find it helpful to go the extra mile in patting the children who have difficulties falling asleep. Eventually children will be able to fall asleep on their own. The teachers could also give the children who have trouble falling asleep, a sleeping agent(like a soft teddy bear). I believe this way can be more effective.

Situation 3: I’m more comfortable with B. I agree with their readiness philosophy for toilet training. Every child is different. I don’t believe that a child’s toilet-training status should be a determining factor of whether they’re promoted to the appropriate grade or not. Promotion should be based on age. The school and family need to support the child in any area they are struggling with.

Situation 4: I’m more comfortable with B. I believe its essential to introduce children to new environments slowly. Being that its the beginning of the school year, its expected for some children to cry and to have trouble with an unfamiliar setting. If the parents are present it can help the children loosen up and feel safe.

• Hey Deborah. I’ve actually been checking my syllabus everyday now to make sure i have everything done and its been working out for me as well. I’m glad everything is good for you. I also agree with you for the first situation you chose. I believe it’s also important to observe children while they are eating and to help them out if they need anything.

• Hi Deborah, I agree with you with all the situations, I believe it is important to make an environment where the children feel welcomed and that would help them explore the new place that they are placed in. This also helps the child be less stress out and helps both the parent and staff.

8. The strategies I am using have been very helpful and now just to be sure I have everything done before time, I check everything off my syllabus to make sure it’s done.
    Situation 1. In this situation, I am more comfortable with B because teachers don’t really have lunch the same time as their students and it’s important to observe them to make sure there not doing anything wrong. It’s also important to learn manners at the table.
    Situation 2: I would feel more comfortable with A because the teacher is taking their taking time to help the others who have trouble sleeping. Teachers should always be patient and help kids with anything they need help in, even if it’s falling asleep and making it a peaceful environment for them.
    Situation 3: I believe B is better because every child is different. Some learn things faster than others so it might take a while for a kid to be toilet trained. You shouldn’t rush kids to do something until they are ready. You should encourage them.
    Situation 4: I am comfortable with B because this will start a routine that if the parent leaves every morning, the child won’t get as sad because they know that there parent will be back. It will become easier to say bye to your kid each day and the child will be used to it. they will learn to love the environment and feel safe at a daycare.

9. 1. The strategies I chose are working for this e-learning course. I would check the syllabus and the remind app to see what is due this week.
    2. – For situation #1 I feel comfortable with B, it describes a situation where the teachers are putting their attention to the children during feeding time. They are assisting the children with their meals and sitting with them to show the children that they care about them.
    -For situation #2 I would go with A because the teachers are demonstrating with their actions that they will go at the child’s pace for them to sleep and not rushing the children, this demonstrates respect to the child under their care.
    -For situation #3 I would go with B because the teachers and director work hand in hand and make sure they go at the child’s pace, for when they feel ready to get potty trained.
    -For situation #4 I would go with B, the school wants both the child and parent to feel welcomed and take it at the pace of the parent and child. The teacher’s word that it is best to have a slow phase-in demonstrates that the school wants the things taken at the family’s pace and not rushed.
    3. As I read most of the situations: A, it made me think how are these teachers? They would rather the children do things on their own and not care, what the kids do. It made me feel bad for the children under their care, they are disrespected, not cared for and ultimately the children will think that nobody cares for them. On the other hand for situation B, the teachers are 1 to 1 to the children, going to the child’s pace and letting the child know that the child’s time is precious to the teacher.
    4. For the scenarios A, the program and staff are not respectful of the children in the program, with their actions they demonstrated that they did not care whether the children were okay and were more worried about themselves and nothing else. I believe that these type of people should not be taking care of children that don’t know how to care for themselves. It is scary to think about what could happen to the kids if the staff are not watching them and the children could potentially get hurt from it.

10. 1. In Weekly Module 1, you identified time management strategies to use for taking an e-learning course. How are those strategies working? What is successful? What do you have to change? – the strategies that I identified in weekly module 1 is helpful as I am keeping a note of all assignments on a separate notebook of mine. I have due dates on both my calendar and my phone for each assignment with the remind app as well. I have also connected my email on to the remind app incase there are issues on my phone. The strategies are working well for me so, I do not have to change anything.
    2. For each situation, do you feel comfortable with A or B? Why? – For situation 1, I would be more comfortable with scenario B as yes, I feel that the teachers should be there sitting with the children, when they are eating incase they need to look after someone who gives the teachers a hard time to eat or even those who tend to create mischief while eating. Usually, kids eat better when they have someone sitting with them while they eat. This applies mostly on kids who are trying to learn how to eat on their own for the first time. Also, teaching kids table manners at an early age is a good idea as they learn basic manners which will only benefit them in future. I feel that it is completely okay for the teachers to eat with children too, as sometimes when teachers eat in a proper way, children learn the same. So, if that scenario was the same but instead the teachers were also eating with the children, maybe the learning would be better and faster.
    For situation 2, I would be more comfortable with scenario A as the teachers are not rushing the child. Some of all kids take more time to fall asleep and for those, the teachers are using techniques like dimming the light and putting on soft music. This shows ways to show children that they matter and teachers take out time to help them with what they need to do. This demonstrates attachment that teachers have with children and respect for all.
    For situation 3, I would be more comfortable with scenario B as the children are not rushed into anything and teacher respect the children’s pace to gradually transition. Again, all children have their own level of development and rushing children into a change is not a very good idea.
    For situation 4, I would be more comfortable with scenario B as the beginning of a school year is a change for the children and they would want their parents to be around when they face difficulty as children are most comfortable with own parents when they face change and especially at a young age. I would too want my parents to be there if I am going through a change or starting a new thing. It is just a way of getting used to a new environment and getting comfortable with people around.
    3. What are your thoughts and reactions? – As I read these few situations and scenarios, I felt that in some of them, the children were being rushed into something that they very much didn’t enjoy. I felt bad and sometimes wonder how teachers imagine getting attached to children when they end of doing something which is no where close to forming a relationship with the child.
    4. What are your judgments about the program and staff? Be honest. – I felt that in some, the teachers were just getting things done which in no way help the child’s development. They did not for once even think how would the child react on doing something and also how would that impact a child’s environment and upbringing overall.

11. scenario 1 : honestly i feel more comfortable with b because therefore the teachers aren’t forcing them to do anything the are being taught while having lunch and there is nothing wrong with that I feel like its good to sit with the children while they eat ad not be doing their own thing their time for that is when the babies are sleeping .

Scenario 2: this one was kind of tricky for me because both of them sound good but if i have to choose its A because this is showing the connection between the child and the teacher the physical love. Dimming the lights and playing soft music is always great for when kids are going to sleep The little massage that they get just shows the love and care that the teacher has for the baby allowing them to fall asleep on their own with that

Scenario 3: Based on what i have learned so far it isnt right o force any infant into something its important to guide them eventually you can each them toilet training and B dosent fore them into that let them be babies and give them the diapers.

Scenario 4: i feel more comfortable with b because it shows that they need that love from their parents to as they transition int not seeing them for 8 hours a day or so babies willl cry but they need to feel safe in a new environment without their caregiver . It is better to have the parents their so they can see their parents trust who they are with and take it slow from there.

• Hi there! I chose the same option for the scenario #4, Just like we learned when we reviewed the Attachment readings, and we discussed in class, saying goodbye to children is key in order to build a relationship with a strong bond in trust.

I like your answers a lot!

12. 1. The strategies are working perfectly so far my reminders I set on my phone allows me to submit my assignment on time
    2. Situation 1 I’m more comfortable with A they are not forcing the children who are not hungry to eat plus they are letting them use what method they are comfortable with to eat. The program staff is be respectful of each kid as an individual
    Situation 2 I am more comfortable with B the teacher is not forcing the child that is not tired to sleep but finds other ways to keep him quiet so has to not disturb the other sleeping children
    Situation 3 I’m comfortable with B children should be place with there age group
    Situation 4 For this one I would feel comfortable with either Air B
    3. For Situation 2 I love the way the teacher handle Situation B
    4. For Situation 1A I felt like caregiver should have sat with the children as they ate.

13. Scenario 1: I feel most comfortable with ‘A’ because I feel like kids should have the opportunity to eat as freely as they please

Scenario 2: I would chose ‘A’ because it shows that there is a connection between the child and the teacher, I like how the teacher takes time to put each child to sleep

Scenario 3: I agree with ‘B’ because every kid learns at their own pace and some kids take a little longer than others.

Scenario 4: I feel comfortable with ‘A’ because I feel that children will eventually learn to get used to the environment and the fact that their parents are not going to be there.

14. These strategies are sort of working because i haven’t fully stood by them. What is successful about it is that they actually do help me to do my homework. What i can change is i can put more time and focus working on these techniques.
    #1 For this scenario I feel more comfortable with with situation B for the fact that mealtime is for the kids and it is a time where you can socialize even more with them with teaching them how to eat with forks and spoons. I think I would better prefer situation B because it is better for the students as well as for the teachers. I think for this scenario in the A the teachers were wrong to leave the children alone to eat and the teacher eating by themselves.
    #2 I agree with the A situation because it is the responsibility of the teachers to help put the kids to sleep. To help them when they have nightmares or scary dreams or when they just can’t sleep. Situation B is like the teachers are just their to grade papers and not help the children. I would prefer better the first one situation A because it gives the child more attention more one on one time with the teacher and create a bond with them. I think teachers should try more to be by their child to help them when they need the help.
    #3 i think that situation B is a better way of teaching because the children tell you when they are ready not you tell them when they need to learn how to use the bathroom. Situation A is more the teachers forcing the potting training on to the children. I would go with the second option because the child is on charge of their own bodies . The teachers would be bad teachers if they tried to potty train the students without them wanting to learn how.
    #4 situation B would be the best response to the situation because the children need to say goodbye to their parents so that they know they are going to come back for them. If you were to just leave them like situation A it’ll take a longer time for them to accommodate to the school setting. I would do situation B and have the parents on site so that they can console their kids and make them feel the home and school connection. I think if the teachers would kick the parents out it would be bad since it would be an even more stressful time for them.

15. 1.A. As we have discussed in class, children should do what they feel they need to and nothing should be an obligation for them.
    2.B Teacher redirects the attention of the child that doesnt want to sleep being careful of not disturbing the ones sleeping.
    3A The classroom has a structures based on the abilities of the children
    4 B Children feel the necessity of saying goodbye to their parents in order to understand that they will be back. We as future professionals in this field should be able to understand children’s needs and know how to properly meet them.

16. Hey Aalyah! I also felt more identified with scenario A. just like we discussed in class, children should never be obligated to do anything they dont want to do.

great job!

17. 1. The strategies are going good except for time management is the only one that still needs work done.
    Situation 1 – Although I was having a hard time deciding between scenario A or B I eventually chose B because although I do feel comfortable with A and letting the children have the freedom and not forcing them to do something they don’t want too, I also believe that children still need structure and have to learn. So if it’s time to eat then they should be eating even if they don’t eat all of their food etc. And having the teachers there and teaching them how to use utensils and being involved with them while they eat is great. Also, you don’t want a child that gets hungry and becomes cranky later during the day just because they didn’t eat when they were supposed to.
    Situation 2 – I feel comfortable with scenario A just because it becomes a lot easier once all childrens are asleep for teachers to do whatever they have to do before the children wake up, along with giving the teachers a break to relax, something they can’t really do if there are a few kids who are awake using a book to distract them because children have very low attention span. So a book won’t keep them occupied for the whole time the others are sleeping.
    Situation 3 – I feel like I am more comfortable with scenario B because I like the way that they are handling the toilet training with the children. They are taking it by the child’s step, not pressuring/rushing them, they are trusting the child.
    Situation 4 – I feel more comfortable with scenario B just because it is terrifying being a young child and growing from one thing to another especially when it’s new and unfamiliar. Having someone you know present or nearby creates that safe environment that they aren’t alone with a bunch of strangers. I also believe that when it comes to young children transitions like that have to be made at a slow pace just because they don’t really fully understand that they will be fine and see their parents later like an older child going to school.

18. 1. I feel comfortable with Scenario A.I feel comfortable with Scenario A because kids should have the opportunity to do things on their own.
    2. I feel comfortable with scenario A because you can tell that the child is comfortable with the teacher and that is great when working with children.
    3. I feel comfortable with scenario B because the teachers are calm with the children rather than forcing the child
    4. I feel comfortable with scenario A because the child is going to eventually going to stop crying when they realize that they are in good hands.

19. 1. I think B is better because as a teacher you want to be attentive to the kids and your lunch/clean up can be durring nap time

2. A is better because as a teacher you want to make sure each child is comfortable durring nap time

3. B is better because children grow at they’re own rate and potty train different you cant force a child to be potty trained

4. B is better because you want the child to be comfortable and first days are hard for kids so having that phase in method can work

20. Scenario 1: In this scenario, I would talk to my co-worker one on one to make sure he/she is aware of the problem and if they still continue to come to work late then I would speak to someone with a higher position than me to ask for more help with the kids.

Scenario 2. A is better because as a teacher you want to make sure each child is comfortable durring nap time

Scenario 4. I feel comfortable with scenario A because the child is going to eventually going to stop crying when they realize that they are in good hands.